12.5.16

Loro Parque Tenerife

Hola! My first post about terrific Tenerife is finally in front of you and it's entirely dedicated to April 18, a very exciting and educational day in Loro Parque. Loro Parque means "parrot park" in Spanish since it was initially planned as a parrot paradise or "parrots only" park. But today it's a whopping 13.5-ha zoo located on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz, and it houses a truly extensive and diverse reserve of animal and plant species.

Loro Parque was opened in 1972 on 1.3 ha with 150 parrots and today it is home to 4000 parrots from 350 species and subspecies, as well as many other animals and birds like red panda, white tiger, innumerable quantity of different penguins, a family of chimpanzees, good old suricates and many many more. Loro Parque's parrot collection is the largest in the whole wide world and makes the park one of the main references in the study and conservation of those beautiful creatures.


There even is a very special zone called the Baby Station that shows visitors the care of teeny-tiny baby parrots and other chicks hatched at the zoo. And believe me when I say it's definitely one of the most touching sights I've ever seen in my life. Just look at those half-naked, fragile, wonderful little miracles! They were my biggest favourites besides the huge penguin community and fascinating rays in the shark tunnel.

Loro Parque holds the largest indoor penguin exhibition in the world and the longest shark tunnel in Europe and those two were truly breathtaking. Real snow, a huge iceberg and hundreds of penguins (Chinstrap, Gentoo, Humboldt, King, Rockhopper...) were in front of us and through this penguin site I found out there were as many as 17 species of penguins worldwide. I can say I was fairly enraptured when I saw approximately 1/3 of all those different species at once. They're just truly awesome, aren't they? But the shark tunnel was fascinating as well because how many of us have seen a dangerous shark so closely, floating and swimming above our heads?

Solomons cockatoo (born 24.03.2016) and Eleonora cockatoo (born 27.03.2016)
Pink cockatoo
Rainbow lorikeets
Golden pheasant
Cattle egret

What we didn't approve were the animal shows and we did not attend any. Orcas (or killer whales), sea lions, dolphins and parrots perform in shows throughout the day and maybe parrots enjoy performing but when you do some research about captive orcas the outcome is sad and scary - Wikipedia link. The captive orca attacks list from the previous link contains entirely three that happened in Loro Parque and unfortunately one young orca trainer died. After the research I added watching a 2013 American documentary called Blackfish (IMDb link) in my to-do list.

But all in all I still loved our Tenerife zoo experience and so did my husband. I was amazed again and again: when I saw all those wonderful penguins, the sweetest baby parrots and various fascinating sea creatures. Also adult parrots and other exotic birds were flying freely above our heads and around us in one special bird area. And what was unusual - there was no zoo smell at all. That was a first for us, after visiting four different zoos in Estonia, Finland, Latvia (see my post about it here) and Czech Republic (see my post here). Oh and I bought that sunny/silly 1€ cap because Puerto de la Cruz was a bit rainy at first.


Anyway, picking the best photos for today's post was a real challenge for me because I had to choose from more than 300 zoo pictures (my Olympus E-520 photos+the husband's action camera photos+Nokia Lumia 735 photos)! So I really hope you enjoyed the selection and my first Tenerife story in general. Oh and by the way, we both filmed quite a lot during our trip so there is a relatively strong possibility that eventually you're going to see some Tenerife videos through this blog. Let me know what you think about that and I'll see you already in the next post!

22 comments:

  1. Wow, such an experience!!

    Happy Friday Doll! Kisses,
    BLOG | TAISLANY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, dear Maiken, I would love to watch some videos! I think we like these places - well, I am sure - and now I would love to visit Loro park. The red panda, the parrots, wow, beginning with a 150 and now 4,000! So bad an orca trainer died, but yes, they shouldn't offer shows. I loved your pictures! I love penguins and this tunnel is amazing, for sharks and rays! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing experience, I so much want to go there now! Hope you are fine and enjoying the week! I am in bed, but soon will be fine again - just a very nasty cold!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Denise, for your kind words :) I'm happy you enjoyed the post. and you should definitely visit Loro Parque when you can! I wish you a very quick recovery by the way!!! take care!

      Delete
    2. I am finally out of bed, just to keep you posted :) Thank you so much for your wishes, dear Maiken! It was an awful time, but I survived :) Hope you have a nice week!

      Delete
    3. I'm very happy to hear that! take care!

      Delete
  3. Hey Maiken, the photos look spectacular, those baby birds were the cutest. So much want to visit your side of the world too (someday soon)Personally, I am against animal shows too (humans depress me at times, what has become of us?) By the way,your cap looks bright and cute, matches your vibrant top.The photo of you & your husband is so beautiful.Frame it .Love Avantika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Avantika! I hope you can visit my side of the world. and framing that photo of us indeed is a lovely idea! will have to do that :)

      Delete
  4. How marvellous! I know now that I would love to visit Loro Parque, and I'm glad that you shared this post with us of Tenerife. The golden pheasant and rainbow lorikeet images are stunning. So sad about the orcas trainer, so I can understand the reservation.
    Have a lovely rest of May. <3
    http://fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Madison! I also love those rainbow lorikeets and am seriously thinking about framing that photo.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous photos!
    Have a nice week-end!
    Gil Zetbase
    http://gilzetbase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel you! I always take waaaay to many pictures when I go on vacation lol. I had no idea there were even 150 different types of parrots! The pictures of the penguins were my favorite :) They're so cute! Glad to hear you had a great time at the zoo :)

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Mili! 350 DIFFERENT parrot species and subspecies in only one park indeed is a lot!

      Delete
  7. I literally just watched Blackfish and it's insane what's going on behind the scenes! Definitely watch it when you have the chance. I'm glad you didn't support that.
    But this place does look quite amazing, all the colorful birds are beautiful! And I'd love to walk under that walkway and see sharks swimming around me haha, that's cool

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Visit my YouTube channel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the comment, Linda :) I will most definitely watch Blackfish when I'm back on track with everything else going on in my life right now. it's even already waiting for me in one of my computers!

      Delete
  8. Aaaaaah a new post YAAAAY !
    Your shots are always so pretty Maiken! ♡

    I don't like zoo because I think that the animals should be free, but when you see what happens to some of them because they're free...there is good and bad in everything :/
    About Blackfish, prepare the tissues, I never cried so much after watching a report. That's the main reason why I'll never put a feet in a zoo again, what we are doing to these giants is just awful.

    Can't wait for your next post my dear ! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, dear Catherine❣
      I completely understand what you're saying. but you're also right about the fact that there's good and bad in everything and zoos also do some good, like preserving some endangered species which I think is very important. that's why I keep visiting and supporting them. at the same time I don't accept animal shows and my heart aches for those orcas for example. once again, there's good and bad in everything and I guess that's how our planet works...
      ps. I'll do my best to post as soon as possible! it will probably be a post about Estonian spring this time :)

      Delete
  9. Hello, Maiken! This really looks like the loveliest of trips--there's so much vibrant life. The baby cockatoos are really precious, too. What a beautiful time in their lives!

    I admire your dedication to supporting only ethical practices--I think that it's all to easy to take things for granted. I've been trying more to stay away from mass-produced fashion since textile workers are often mistreated. Props to you for keeping us in the know about animal shows!

    Anyways, hope you've been doing well and have been feeling recharged after this trip! I can't wait to read more from you :)

    Much love always <3

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Lily! thank you for the comment! talking about being recharged... well, not really since the vacation already seems like ancient history and the next one like a very far-off future, haha.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos! I always feel a little bit controversal when it comes to zoos, some are very good & take care of animals really well, but there is something in general about them that I don't like. Especially when it comes to animals in "wrong places", like Arctic animals in warm places etc. We have very strict rules in Finland about what animals can be kept in zoos, so you won't find any misplaced animals here. I remember seeing penguins in Italy and thinking that they were super cute, but maybe in the wrong place if you ask me? Sometimes, we don't need to see all the animals. Sometimes it's enough to read about them. It looks, however, like you had a great time and that is the most important thing :) Thank you for your kind comments on my blog!

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment, Elisabeth! I completely understand what you mean and I'm always fighting with the same thoughts. I also think that as long as there are zoos they must be supported because what will happen otherwise? I recently read an article about an abandoned zoo and starving animals in Armenia and I think that's the worst case possible. it breaks my heart and I hope those animals will be saved.
      oh, I found out the lioness and her two cubs already were rescued :) and by the way, if all goes well we are planning to visit Korkeasaari this summer!

      Delete