21.6.16

Mount Teide and more

Hello and happy summer! It's June, my birthday month, and very soon it's Midsummer or St John's which this year thankfully comes with a couple of spare days as a lovely, much-needed bonus. Because our official summer vacation patiently waits behind five long weeks. But enough chit-chat now - today's post is dedicated to April 19 and Mount Teide as most of you guys requested more about Tenerife. So let's get it started!

Selfie power - the lower station at 2356 m above sea level, Mount Teide behind us

Mount Teide (or Pico del Teide in Spanish) is an active stratovolcano on Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Its 3718-metre summit is the highest point in Spain and the highest point above sea level in all islands of the Atlantic Ocean. If measured from its base on the ocean floor, it is at 7500 m the third highest volcanic structure and most voluminous in the world after Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea in Hawaii.

The volcano and its surroundings comprise Teide National Park which has an area of 18 900 hectares. Its natural boundaries are marked by a grandiose, spectacular Las Cañadas caldera and in 2007 Teide National Park was named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Teide is the most visited natural wonder of Spain, the most visited national park in Spain and Europe and by 2015 the eighth most visited national park in the whole world.

A mountainous view down on our way to Mount Teide
Somewhere near Vilaflor, the highest (1400 m) village of Tenerife
Another rocky view on our way to Mount Teide
The lower station at 2356 m above sea level
Mount Teide

I can easily say Teide National Park and Pico del Teide are the most spectacular sights we've seen and discovered so far. Therefore we're already planning to go back next year because of two main reasons:
1. We both fell in love with Tenerife - its wonderful climate (the Island of Eternal Spring!), delicious food, magnificent nature, compactness, nice shops and customer service, the Atlantic Ocean, overall cosiness and so on... I will probably write more about it in another blog post but you should know I wanted to cry when we had to leave, and a fairly big chunk of my heart is situated somewhere in Tenerife right now.

2. It was too windy to use the cable car - allegedly at times even 100 m/s. Therefore we reached the lower station at 2356 m above sea level but unfortunately not the upper station at 3555 m altitude nor the Telesforo Bravo Trail to the crater of Mount Teide at 3717,98 m. So we both agreed that we have to return and try again, until we have fulfilled that goal. It may happen next year or the year after next year or... whenever because the weather is unpredictable but it just has to happen!

Against the windy background of Las Cañadas caldera

One of the stops we made on our way back to our temporary home in Costa Adeje was at the very cool Roques de Garcia viewpoint. It's basically a group of pinnacles in the Las Cañadas caldera which is a large depression surrounding Pico del Teide. These pinnacles used to lie hidden and were exposed when Las Cañadas was formed as a result of the collapse of the volcano with the same name. Since then the pinnacles have been constantly worn away by erosion and Mother Nature has given them their odd shapes.

Roques de Garcia vol 1
Roques de Garcia vol 2
Las Cañadas caldera

We also passed through Los Gigantes where famous Acantilados de Los Gigantes or Cliffs of the Giants stand. These are giant rock formations that rise from the sea to a height of 500-800 metres and the whole town has been named after them. Los Gigantes is another fascinating place where I definitely want to return to and do some thorough exploring there.

Leaving Teide National Park
Los Gigantes against the background of Acantilados de Los Gigantes
Another piece of Los Gigantes

All in all it was a wonderful experience. We were both amazed by the distinctive nature and breathtaking views. Teide National Park with Pico del Teide and Roques de Garcia, and also Los Gigantes are all places you're going to miss after leaving them. Actually I started missing Tenerife already before leaving the place so I guess it's pretty obvious how I feel. But I hope you guys enjoyed today's post and learnt something interesting about Tenerife. Have a sunny Midsummer and see you next time!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, dear Maiken, I was so waiting for this post an it is amazing! Los Gigante and Pico del Teide, fantastic! 3rd most volumimous volcanic structure in the world, Unesco World Heritage, most visited natural wonder in Spain, so on - the numbers are impressive! And yes, bad that the able couldn't take you up, but then you can come back another time, I am sure you will! You two look lovely together, I am sure you had so much fun and I am very happy to see that! I am waiting for the next post! Many hugs and regards!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much for all the kind words, Denise! :)

      Delete
  2. Tied looks incredible. Oh wow, what an adventure you took! I would love to visit the natural wonder of Spain. Just wow! <3

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you totally should visit Mount Teide when you get the chance. it's a wonderful experience!

      Delete
  3. Pico del Teide is actually on my bf and I list of places to holiday. Love these photos, and always appreciate your travel diaries. Best to you both on the weekend.
    Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that's really cool! it would be super exciting to see your post about it! and of course thank you, Madison!

      Delete
  4. There sure is something magical about volcanos, I remember that from Sicily, Italy: http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/2013/07/clouds-come-floating-into-my-life-no.html! So naturally I loved this post! You asked me on my blog about second hand shops in Helsinki. My favorites are: Frida Marina, https://www.facebook.com/Frida-marina-463910240295995/; Kaivarin Kanuuna, http://kaivarinkanuuna.fi/. There are also two novelties in Helsinki: Relove, http://relove.fi/ and Recci, http://recci.fi/. I can give you more tips if you tell me when you're coming and how long you're staying in Helsinki.

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the kind comment, Elisabeth! we were actually choosing between Mount Etna and Mount Teide when we were picking our destination last December. Mount Etna will hopefully be a future destination for us :)

      also, thank you for the recommendations! I checked all of them and understood very little Finnish but the one that would probably be interesting for me and also for the husband is Kaivarin Kanuuna because they seem to sell more than just clothes. stuff for our home (including old, vintage stuff and other stuff men would like) is something he would also be interested in. clothes not so much, haha. anyway, we haven't bought or booked the tickets yet but our time frame stays between the last week of July and the first week of August and we're thinking about a Tuesday or a Wednesday. and it's only a one day's trip. by the way, do you have some nice flower shops near Katajanokka area? flowers in pots, not cut flowers :) oh and we're probably going to Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden instead of Korkeasaari this time.

      Delete
  5. Wow, all the views look so crazy beautiful! My family is trying to plan our vacation for next year and I'm campaigning for Spain! Outside of Barcelona and Madrid I wasn't sure of what else there was so thanks for sharing your trip :) It's crazy that the winds were that fast! I had to quickly google to convert it to mph since I have no gauge when it comes to the metric system, but once I did I'm shocked! 100 m/s is freakin' fast! Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacay and are looking forward to going back one day :)

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Mili :) I haven't been to Barcelona or Madrid (yet?) but I sure can recommend Tenerife if you're interested in a very breezy vacation. I and my husband both seriously loved, and still love the place!

      Delete
  6. These pictures are breathtaking! Such an amazing place!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go to Tenerife but I had no idea there was so much natural beauty. I think I was aware of the volcano but that's about it. OMG I am so ashamed!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should definitely go if you can. it's totally worth it!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! Concerning the tips on Helsinki:
    Fargo http://www.fargoshop.fi/ is also an interesting place if you're looking for vintage shops. Ansa https://www.facebook.com/Ansasecondhand/ is good as well :)
    Do you have Plantagen in Estonia? If not, it's a great flower shop in the Kamppi shopping center. Inbloom http://www.inbloom.fi/ is also a great flower shop. Here are two great blog posts about the Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden: http://wishwishwish.net/2014/10/botanical/ & https://www.joelix.com/Kaisaniemi-Botanic-Garden-in-Helsinki. I organized the blog trips behind these posts :)

    xxx
    E from Helsinki, Finland
    http://helsinkidragonfly.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the tips, Elisabeth! I browsed every link you recommended and Kamppi with Plantagen and Inbloom both seem to be lovely and they go to our list. of course I can't stretch that list too much... but I'm definitely working on it to create a decent schedule for us :)

      Delete
  9. Whoa, what stunning views! I especially love the second shot with the rolling hills and the dusty clouds resting peacefully above the volcanic structures. The selfie stick shots are also perfect--I may have to break mine out at some point!

    I'm sorry to hear that the wind got in the way, but that will leave another gem for you to discover next time. I hope your birthday was wonderful and that you get the rest you need on the next holiday!

    imperfect idealist

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those landscapes are amazing ! But it looks super windy aha :P
    I totally understand your feeling about Tenerife, had the same when leaving Menorca and now all I dream about is coming back there as soon as possible! (I actually cried a lot when we left..)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing place!
    Have a nice week-end!
    Photographer Gil Zetbase
    http://www.gilzetbase.com/

    ReplyDelete